[Affiliate Disclaimer: As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.]
You picked up some fresh Greggs Sausage Rolls while you were out, but they cooled before you could eat them.
Maybe you bought a few too many and have sausage rolls left over, or you have bad luck and never arrive at Greggs when their sausage rolls are still hot from the oven.
The good news is you can easily reheat your Greggs sausage rolls at home.
Learn all the how-tos of safe temperature handling and use our step-by-step reheating instructions for your oven, air fryer, or microwave.
Find out which reheating method warms your sausage roll the most evenly, which method produces the crispiest outer layer, and what method to avoid if you hate a soggy sausage roll.
Is it OK to reheat a Greggs Sausage Roll?
It is absolutely OK to reheat a Greggs sausage roll. With proper handling and reheating, your Greggs sausage roll is safe to consume—not to mention delicious.
Your sausage roll is safe for consumption at room temperature for up to two hours.
After that, place your sausage roll in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days and reheat whenever you’re ready to eat it.
Safe temperature for reheated pork sausage meat
- Even though your sausage roll is pre-cooked, it’s always a good idea to reheat to an internal temperature of at least 74 degrees Celsius (165 degrees Fahrenheit). If you don’t have a thermometer, we recommend this one.
- Reheating your roll to that temperature prevents any food-borne illness.
How long does it take to reheat a Greggs sausage roll?
Reheating your Greggs sausage roll takes anywhere from 3 to 30 minutes, given the method.
Some heating methods require time to preheat your oven or air fryer. Other methods require time to let the sausage roll rest after heating.
Using the oven to reheat your sausage roll takes the longest, and microwaving is the shortest.
Read through the step-by-step instructions to find the best heating method for you.
How to reheat a Greggs sausage roll step by step
There are three easy methods to reheat your sausage rolls. Choose between an oven, an air fryer, and a microwave.
Make sure to follow every step carefully for a perfectly reheated sausage roll.
These directions are specifically for fresh—not frozen—Greggs sausage rolls.
In the oven
The oven will reheat your sausage roll the most evenly of all the methods. You don’t have to worry about the edges burning your mouth while the middle is still cold.
Reheating in an oven also crisps up the roll for that just-from-the-shop texture.
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F
- Place your desired amount of sausage rolls on a baking sheet, evenly spaced out.
- Do not cover. Foil or other coverings prevent your rolls from getting crisp while they reheat.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven for 15–20 minutes or until your sausage rolls are hot and crisp.
- Make sure the internal temperature of the sausage roll is at least 74°C/165°F. (use a thermometer like this one)
- Serve and enjoy.
In the air fryer
An air fryer will give you a hot and crispy sausage roll without having to heat your oven.
This method will heat your sausage roll evenly, much better than a microwave.
It also produces the crispiest roll.
- Preheat your air fryer to 180°C/360°F
- Place sausage rolls in an air fryer basket, as a single layer and spaced at least one inch apart.
- Cook in the air fryer for 6-8 minutes, or until they reach an internal temperature of 74°C/165°F. (we recommend this thermometer)
- Enjoy immediately!
In the microwave
Using a microwave is the fastest way to reheat your sausage roll. There’s no need to preheat anything.
These directions are based on an 800w microwave.
Wattage varies, so be sure to check your microwave and adjust times accordingly.
Fair warning—using a microwave tends to produce uneven heating and soggy results.
If you absolutely must have a crispy roll, choose one of the other methods to heat your sausage roll.
Otherwise, carry on with the following steps:
- Place sausage rolls on a microwave-safe plate or dish.
- Cover sausage rolls with a dry paper towel.
- Microwave on full power for 1–2 minutes, or until hot.
- Check that the internal temperature of your sausage roll is at least 74°C/165°F. (we recommend this thermometer)
- Let stand for one minute to cool before eating.
Why doesn’t Greggs keep their sausage rolls hot?
Surprisingly, it’s to save you money.
Greggs bakes their sausage rolls in their ovens throughout the day, then leaves them to cool.
Why? If Greggs kept the sausage rolls warm, they would be subject to VAT. Placing the sausage rolls in heat-retaining containers, or re-warming them for customers, results in a VAT charge.
The cost of their sausage rolls would increase to cover this charge, meaning you would be paying more.
So don’t be too mad if you arrive at Greggs to find lukewarm or cool sausage rolls. They’re only doing it to pass savings on to you!
Psst: We also did a guide on reheating a Greggs Steak Bake.
Can you reheat a Greggs sausage roll the next day?
Yes, you can reheat a Greggs sausage roll the next day.
If the sausage roll is properly stored in the fridge, it is still safe to consume. Use an oven or air fryer for crispy, evenly-warmed perfection, or microwave it if you are in a hurry.
Get more information on safe storage and reheating from the Food Standards Agency.
How long does a Greggs sausage roll last?
In the fridge, a Greggs sausage roll will stay fresh for 3 to 4 days.
Be sure to check any dates on sausage roll packaging for guidance. If you need to store your Greggs sausage roll longer than 3–4 days, you can freeze it.
Can you freeze a Greggs Sausage roll?
Yes, Greggs sausage rolls freeze very well. Make sure to properly package your Greggs sausage roll in freezer-friendly material.
Once frozen, the rolls will keep for two to four months before losing their freshness.
How do you make sausage rolls crispy again?
To make your sausage roll crispy again, reheat it using an oven or air fryer. Those produce the crispiest results.
When reheating, make sure not to cover your sausage roll with foil or any other material. They need to be left uncovered to get crispy again.
How do I get a crispy sausage roll if I don’t have 20-30 minutes to use my oven?
You can get a crispy roll in a shorter time by using an air fryer.
If you don’t have an air fryer, you can shorten the oven cooking time by using a ‘hybrid’ reheating method.
- Partially reheat your sausage roll in the microwave. (If following the above directions, try cooking it for only one minute).
- Finish reheating your sausage roll in an oven preheated to 190°C/375°F.
- Bake 3–7 minutes, or until your desired crispiness.
- As always, make sure the internal temperature of your sausage roll is 74°C/165°F. (we recommend this thermometer)
We also wrote a guide on reheating food from Costa Coffee, if you’re a fan of Costa too, go check it out!
Reheating your Greggs sausage roll is straightforward. That doesn’t mean you won’t have questions.
Find out more information and helpful tips below.
How do I properly store Greggs Sausage Rolls?
The best way to properly store your sausage roll is in an airtight container. Place a paper towel under your sausage rolls to absorb any excess moisture or grease.
Which reheating method is best?
The best method for reheating your sausage roll is an air fryer. The air fryer will heat your sausage roll quicker than an oven. It will warm your sausage roll evenly and produce the crispiest results.
Can I reheat sausage rolls more than once?
Yes, you can reheat your sausage roll more than once. Make sure to follow safe handling procedures. Properly store and reheat any leftover sausage rolls.
How do I get a crispy sausage roll if I don’t have an air fryer?
You can get a crispy sausage roll by reheating it in your oven. It will take longer to heat through, but it will give you a hot and crispy result.
How do I reheat a frozen sausage roll?
Reheating a frozen sausage roll works best in the oven. Use the instructions for reheating in the oven as above, with an additional 10–15 minutes to the cook time.
If you liked this, then you should check out our guide to reheating Nando’s.